LARGE AND SMALL SCALE CONTEMPORARY PAINTINGS BY PATRICIA TURNER
Patricia Turner - Artist Statement and Bio
Painting is a wild adventure!
Patricia grew up in Corpus Christi, Texas. Her aunt and cousin were professional artists, and because of their early influence, she always dreamed of being an artist. As a neophyte painter, her favorite old masters were Renoir, Monet, and John Singer Sargent. Today, her ever-growing list of contemporary favorites is: Amadea Bailey, Jonas Gerard, Filomena Andrade Booth, Pam Coughey, Jane Davies, Moe Brooker, and Brian Rutenberg.
Although she studied at the University of Houston and with private teachers, she considers herself self-taught. She works in acrylics, pastels, charcoal, collage and pencil; but her favorite medium is acrylics.
Experimentation is key in her approach to the canvas. She says: “I love the feeling that comes from actually throwing paint and artistic caution to the wind; of letting music and rhythm move my hands, while staying open so the work can flow through me. This is risky and terrifying, but the greatest fun; I never know in what direction I will be led. This process excites and inspires me, propels me into a new learning curve with each painting, and keeps my work constantly changing.”
She’s traveled the United States in an RV with her husband, lived in Houston, Texas, Los Angeles and Sacramento, CA, seen the work of the masters in France and Italy, and has now retired to the joy of painting in Georgetown, Texas.
Currently, she is the Artist-in-Residence at the Vineyard at Florence, Texas Gallery, and is also represented at The White Elephant Gallery in Waco, Texas. She’s been professionally painting for 28 years.
While studying with other Texas artists and at the University of Houston, I studied art books about the old masters. I loved the expressionist painters, works by Renoir, the figurative work of Amadeo Modigliani, and the beautiful portraits of John Singer Sargent. I have always been captivated by the human face and form as much as I am excited by abstraction with heavy textures and strong contrasts. It was while living in Los Angeles, CA (1989-1991) that I began a real love affair with abstraction and expressionism and the idea of letting my emotions guide my hands.
University of Texas Thompson Conference Center Continuing Education Division (1994) 40 hours certified Graphic Design and Marketing
University of Houston School of Fine Art (1985). drawing and painting
Del Mar College School of Fine Art (1967)-1968). Graphic Arts, Drawing and painting
- Brian Rutenberg, New York, New York - Studio Visits 1-64
- Jonas Gerard, Asheville, NC - "Confluence" Private Reception
- Filomena Andrade Booth, Texas and Florida Artist, Abstract Contemporary Workshop, October 2015, Irving, Texas
- Mentor, Amadea Bailey, Los Angeles, CA, expressionist and abstract painter (2014 to present)
- Atelier 3-D Studio – Steve Dubov, Anatomy - clay figure sculpture study (2013)
- Gregory Truett Smith – Austin, Texas pencil portraiture (2000 – 2001)
- Char Eppright – Austin, Texas pastel and oil portraiture (2000)
- Daugherty Art Center, Austin, Texas – Meryl Berwick pastel figurative and portraiture (1991-1992)
- Dot Turner Studio - Corpus Christi, Texas clay sculpture (1972)
- Dick Turner Studio – Corpus Christi, Texas oil landscapes (1967-1972). Dick was my greatest influence.
- The Vineyard at Florence, Texas (2016 to present)
- The Hollow Restaurant and Gallery - Georgetown, Texas (2015-2016)
- Turner Studio Gallery - Georgetown, Texas (2012-2013)
- Cultivate7Twelve, Waco, Texas (2018-Present)
- Georgetown Arthop (2016)
- LagunaArt.co (2016)
- LaTiDa Boutique and Gallery, Marble Falls, Texas (2015)
- 570 Gallery - Laguna Beach, CA (2015)
- Pink Poppy Artisans Gallery – Georgetown, Texas (2013-2014)
- Gallery of Salons - Austin, Texas (2010)
- New Braunfels Art League -Invited sole Juror for the "Break it Down" Abstract Show, August 13, 2019
- Oktoberfest Arts Festival, Jonestown, Texas - 2008, Curator and lead juror for artists' submissions
- Works held in private collections in Austin, Cedar Park, Dallas, Fort Worth, Horseshoe Bay, Houston, and Georgetown, Texas; Los Angeles and Poway, CA; Rio Verde, AZ; Carson City, NV; New York, NY and Washington, DC.
Selected over 30 artists as Visual Artist for Upsetting the Apple Cart, an original play produced for Artspark Festival Competition, 2007, Austin, Texas
Two abstract paintings, Inferno and Cielo, were selected by The Vineyard at Florence, Florence, Texas and used as labels for their new artisan wines for 2017.